Christ United Methodist Church was granted a charter on May 2, 1950. Prior to that time, the Reverend Earle W. Paylor, Jr., a recent graduate of Duke Divinity School, was appointed the first minister and began the challenge of organizing a new church. Those who were interested in forming a Methodist church in this area were meeting regularly in neighborhood homes. At the time the church was officially organized, there were approximately 50 members.
As the membership grew, services were held at Westwood Tennis Club, and later at Ridge School. There were fewer than 100 members when a building program was begun in October 1950. The Board of Missions and Church Extension of the Richmond District had procured a site of about seven acres comprising a county block bounded by Horsepen Road, Charles Street, West Grace Street, and Stillwell Road. Groundbreaking for the Sanctuary was on March 11, 1951, and the first service in the new building was on December 16, 1951. The rear section of the nave of the church was divided with hardboard folding panels for the use of the children’s Sunday school classes. There was one large adult class in the front of the nave. The kindergarten class was held in the pastor’s office.
On February 26, 1956, the debt bonds were burned and the sanctuary was dedicated to the service of God. On May 6, 1956, construction started on the educational wing and it was first used on October 7, 1956. This edition included classrooms and storage closets downstairs, and classrooms, fellowship hall, and a kitchen upstairs.
In 1958 the average Sunday school attendance reached 260 and membership was 453. In 1964 Sunday school attendance reached 300 and the membership had grown to 787.
In November 1964 construction began on the second educational wing. This phase of construction included ten additional classrooms and the refurbishing of the eastern end of the existing Sunday school building. The construction was completed in May 1965.
As membership grew so did the programs and outreach efforts. Boy Scout, Cub Scout, Girl Scout Junior, and Cadet programs were very active. Sunday evenings were given over to Junior and Senior MYF programs with upwards to 60 members. A large active coterie of acolytes and crucifer (cross-bearer) were trained for participation in the worship services.
In 1974 plans were made to replace the sanctuary roof and in 1981 we celebrated that the debts of the second education wing were satisfied. Stained glass windows in the sanctuary building were dedicated on November 1982. In the fall of 1990, after several years of planning and fundraising, the refurbishing of the sanctuary was completed.
On May 16, 2000, Christ United Methodist Church celebrated its 50th year anniversary.